* An inclusive society where Disabled people are able to participate fully and equally
* Build disabled people's knowledge and confidence about rights and opportunities to achieve independence, control and choice over how they live their lives;
* Create opportunities for disabled people to fulfil their ambitions and take an active part in their community.
1. Meet major evidenced unmet needs of disabled people through providing high quality services, resulting in positive outcomes.
2. To be the foremost representative of disabled people in Hackney - helping them to access their rights; and
3. Strengthen the management and operational systems of CHOICE
CHOICE IN HACKNEY was founded in 1992.
It originally consisted of two part-time advocates and a Co-ordinator. Now, the organisation has grown to include a robust advocacy project staffed by three part time advocates; a hate crime advocacy project; a training department delivering Advocacy and Employment training as well as job coaching; and a volunteering project delivering befriending, gardening and active lifestyle services.
Today, CHOICE IN HACKNEY is one of the largest Disabled People's Organisations in Hackney. We assist over 200 disabled people a year to access services, challenge injustice, improve their employability prospects, live actively and participate in society.
We are currently funded by:
User involvement is one of our key strengths as we believe strongly in the importance of users shaping the direction that our organisation takes.
Each project is driven by user input, and we invite service users to become board members and join steering groups.
CHOICE IN HACKNEY is still expanding today and will soon be offering new training courses and other services to disabled people. We have just started offering job coaching for all attendees of the Choice in Hackney Advocacy and Employment Training Course. Our Advocacy project has also expanded with a new Advocacy Mentor supervising advocacy volunteers who will allow us to expand our workload.
The Director of CHOICE is responsible for the day-to-day management of the association. The majority of our board members are disabled people and service users. If you are interested in becoming more involved with the work that CHOICE undertakes, then consider joining our board of trustees! For further information please click on the links for a role description and application form below. Become a Trustee and join our team of talented people helping us grow!
THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
The CHOICE IN HACKNEY Annual General Meeting 2019 was held on Thursday the 5th of December 2019. It was attended by CHOICE IN HACKNEY Trustees, service users, volunteers from the Volunteering Project, and trainees from the Advocacy Training & Employment Project. At this meeting the Annual Report was circulated which contained updates from each of the key projects, a financial summary, statistics for the year and reports written by key members of CHOICE staff.